Tuesday, January 3, 2012

December trip

My friend, Cindy, and I left for Haiti Tuesday, December 6 early morning.  We drove to Dallas to catch a plane to Miami.  When you fly to Haiti, all the flights leave in the early morning.  So, we got to Miami in the afternoon and stayed the night.  We got up early the next morning and headed to the airport, full of excitement and nerves.  We got to Cap Haitien about 11:00.  I am not sure how to explain how it feels to be in Haiti and see Jimmy again.  There is usually a period of awkwardness to actually be in each other's company.  I am so thankful to have Cindy there.  It makes it easier on us and the boys.
It is so hard to find the words to express how the I feel when I get to Haiti.  It is a mixture of exhilaration and dread all at the same time.  I am thrilled to be there and to hug Jimmy and spend more time bonding with him.  I also dread the awkwardness that comes with the getting reacquainted.  I dread the idea that always lingers over that the time will go by quickly and we will have to say goodbye once again.  The bonding and leaving is like gluing two broken pieces together then dropping it on the floor and they break apart again.  Just when being together feels sweet and natural it is time to leave again.  I am very ready for the leaving to stop.  For the bond to be permanent.
Anyway, here are a few pics from our trip.  We had a great time and had lots of fun.  The pictures are kind of out of order but you will get the idea.


Jimmy and Me on the roof at Children of the Promise

At the beach. 
We had a great time going to the beach this time.  Richard and Jimmy each brought a friend.  We went to the beach at a very nice hotel.  We played in the water, ate, and lounged.  It was wonderful!


Jimmy and Biverly.  I noticed this time how much Jimmy loves the little kids.  He is very patient and loving toward them.

More beach pics.

In the toy room at CHCH.  This is Chinalove.

This is where we stayed.  It is the guest dorm.





Jetro, Me, Jimmy

The boys
Richard, Jimmy, Jetro, Rosemond





We visited the infant care center, Children of the Promise.  This was the room where the very sick babies lived.  Jimmy was checking this little one up close.

We also went to another orphanage down the road from CHCH.  Love this baby.  I could kiss these cheeks all day.


Another pic from Tabitha's orphanage.  This little boy would laugh so big.  When I would put him down, he would immediately want back up.  These babies are starved for one on one contact. 
At CHCH with Wenchy.

The boys were in school taking exams while we were there.  Here they are all dressed up for school.  They get up very early.  The night before, I had told Jimmy I wanted to take his picture before school.  So, he woke me up (at 6:30) so I could take it.

I brought Jimmy Christmas and birthday gifts.  I guess US customs needed to take a look at the tshirts and letters from our youth group.  They were nice enough to wrap it back up with this pretty green tape.  It matched the wrapping paper though.

Guinness book of world records


Puzzle time with some of the other boys.

The little ones were stringing beads.
I can't wait to go back.  Rob will go on a medical mission in February.  Jimmy is counting the days.  I asked him if he liked me coming to the orphanage or going on the trips to the medical clinics when we come.  He said medical.  So, I am sure he is looking forward to not only seeing Rob but also participating in the medical clinics.  He gets the opportunity to use his English while translating and finds all the medical stuff interesting.  He takes it all in.  Please pray for the whole team going.  I know their work will glorify God and help the Haitian people.

No comments:

Post a Comment