Saturday, May 4, 2013

The Meaning of Family

My Grandma Minnie passed away last week.  My family spent a few days together remembering Grandma and lots of memories.  Not only am I sad that I lost my grandmother, I am sad Jimmy was not there with us.  Not because he never met Grandma, but because he missed seeing what family is all about.  Families love and support each other in happy times and in times of mourning.  Jimmy missed a wonderful example of my family loving each other through a sad time.  He missed the hugs and the encouraging words.  He missed the laughter and the tears.  He missed being surrounded by the comfort of loved ones.  I have been blessed to have a large multi-generational family.  I know that what makes my great aunt grumpy and that my great uncle likes to drive fancy cars.  I know that my third cousin has a voice that can command a room and my cousin-in-law loves cherry pie.  These are some of my greatest blessings.  To know my family and have them be a part of my life is a treasure no matter how old I get. I have been told repeatedly that Jimmy will be grown by the time he gets here.  Well, even at 37, I need my family; and I will continue to need them no matter how old I get. I know that Jimmy needs a family too.  I am thankful I get to bring him into our family.  Not only will he be blessed by all of them, but I know he will be a blessing to all of us.

Our lawyer submitted the death certificate on Thursday.  We hope to hear something soon from USCIS.

My Grandma is the third from the left.  These are her siblings.
 The Isbell Family

No comments:

Post a Comment