Tuesday, February 22, 2011

You might ask why...

Why did we choose Haiti?  Why did we choose Jimmy?

Rob and I have talked about adoption throughout our marriage.  To be honest, we never discussed it seriously because we could have biological children so there seemed to be no need.  We moved to Ada in December of 2007.  This was about the time I thought we should be having number three. During this time, we were in a big transition time.  Rob had changed careers, we were trying to sell our house in Colorado.  We were so unsettled.   I had no idea why God had sent us to Ada and was wrestling to find my place here.  So, I resigned myself to having two children and building our life here.  Really I was happy with not having any more children.  The older they got, the easier they got.  I surely did not know what God had in store for our future.  We met the Dennis and Coleman families shortly after moving here.  They both have internationally adopted children.  Ryan is from Haiti and Rosie, Rachel, & Lawrence are from Uganda.  I know God placed us in Ada to meet them. 
Fast forward to Spring 2010, Haiti was trying to recover from the horrible earthquake in January.  Rob mentioned he wanted to go.  I said Okay, Go.  So, he plans to go on a trip in the fall.  In the meantime, Rob begins to bring up the subject of adoption.  As soon as he said it aloud, I was on board.  It was totally out of my character but somehow it felt right to me.  As his trip got closer, he wanted me to go.  I was very uneasy to leave Rylan and Kyndal while we both left the country.  However, I somehow knew I needed to go.  We made plans for me to go.  We continued to discuss adopting.  We were both very excited by the time we went in October.  We told a few friends, some family, and the kids before we left.  We agreed that we would just be open to what God wanted us to do.
When we arrived in Haiti, it felt right.  Now, I am not a rough it kind of girl; I like air conditioning, hot showers, familiarity.  So, this came as a shock to me.  How could I be okay here?  I knew it was God.  We arrived at the orphanage and saw all these beautiful, sweet kids.  We spent the next four days loving on them and learning about them as we organized their files.  The first night we were there, I played Jinga with a boy whose smile beamed.  That boy was Jimmy.  I was so drawn to him.  Now, Jimmy is not one of the kids who is glued to you the minute you walk in the place.  He hangs back a little and does his thing.  I continued to notice him the rest of the time.  We watched him play soccer, visited with him a little, and I prayed about him.  I mentioned to Rob that I felt a connection with him.  Rob was not so sure about a 12 year old.  On the trip home, we talked about him more.  Over the weeks ahead, we prayed and prayed about the child we would add to our family.  We knew God would give us an answer, but we didn't want it to be about us and what WE wanted.  We went back and forth about what was "right".  Rob went back to Haiti in January and that is when we knew that God wanted us to bring Jimmy home.  We started the adoption process within a week. 
I guess the answer to Why Haiti? Why Jimmy? is BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT GOD CHOSE FOR US.  That is the only way to explain it.  No matter what I thought going in or what I thought I wanted, this is what is right and good.  Jimmy has already filled a place in my heart that I didn't even know was there.  I love him more and more every day.  It is so hard to have him so far away and not be able to mother him like I do Rylan and Kyndal.  I ask that you continue to pray that this all goes by quickly and smoothly.  Pray for Jimmy and all the emotions he is experiencing.  Pray that God provides what we need for us to bring Jimmy home.

No comments:

Post a Comment